Hello! I hope you’re enjoying a new season! In my newsletter this week- the subject line was actually – ‘This is not- Urgent, a Reminder or the Final Hours’ I hope you know by now that I love to keep up with marketing trends. I recently read a reputable business site and the title was something like- ‘How to Get your Emails Opened.’ Those techniques in my newsletter subject line- Urgent, a Reminder and Final Hours– were just a few of their suggestions! No! I’m sorry, that’s not my style. Maybe if it’s from a retailer who I trust- though still doubtful. I don’t believe those tactics work- they’re stressful, seem icky and spammy to me.
In fact, another highly reputable site and whom I trust further stated that words in the Subject Lines like Free, Reminder or Percentage Off are overused and have negative open rates. Whoa! Who wants that? Okay, so what will work? Here’s a few in my personal inbox that I plan to open-
- ‘Countdown to Summer’ This is a new collection from a retailer I love.
- ‘Classes Start Today’ – I signed up for those.
- ‘Today Only’ I’m still deciding, though it’s not as much of a put off as others
- ‘ 10 Ideas to Refresh.‘ It’s Spring here. Who doesn’t want a Refresh?
- ‘The One Thing You Should Know’ Folks love Lists or that One Thing.
- ‘Let’s Talk About…’ Ok, women tend to like these subject lines. Men usually don’t.
- ‘Cleopatra’s Favorite Perfume.’ Now, really who doesn’t want to know that? Ok. Maybe just me. It’s thought to contain myrrh, cinnamon, fruit oil- probably from dates and pine or cedar resin. Apparently, the recipes for the fragrance have been found in ancient writings. I’m not making this up! This is from a reputable History site. So, yes! I trusted the information.
So! How do we actually get folks to open, read or even just scan our written content? It’s like anything else- Develop a relationship with the reader, stir in that Know, Like, Trust factor and you’re on your way. Some of our titles or subject lines should be Specific and Straightforward- like ‘Classes Begin Today’. And there are those which use a play on words- which I tend to like. Still others create interest, are quirky and fun- obviously Cleopatra’s Perfume checked all of those boxes for me!
I want folks to feel happy, intrigued and curious- not stressed out with another Urgent Demand- unless it’s really Urgent– let’s avoid that!
We want whatever we write to be a pleasure to read. Something they will enjoy. It’s always about Information and Inspiration. Speaking of that! If you’d like to subscribe to my newsletter- it’s free but not in the subject line! Just send me a message and I’ll tell you how to get on the list!
I’ve been posting about Color lately on Instagram. Here’s a download from my course about Color Mapping-
Click Here: “C:\Users\sunni\OneDrive\Color Mapping for You.pdf” It’s a fun way to find out your Color Values- I have more training available in my course!
Speaking of which- We are having so much fun with ‘Be Unforgettable- Beginner’s Guide to Visual Marketing.’ If you think this is something you’d be interested in- I’d love to have you! Here’s the link to find out more! https://camellia-s-cottage-blog.mykajabi.com/about-course-copy-1-ed7ee1ac-4438-4133-968b-ffee43106f2b
Love y’all, Brenda