I have an ongoing conversation with my garden. Nature speaks to me in a strange language- I see dressmaker details in flowers- I see faces in wisened old trees, I see fabrics- sheer, satin, velvet or nubby. When a stem or branch bends or twists, I see embroidery or applique. I see elves and nymphs hiding beneath tree roots; butterflies and hummingbirds are flowers in flight-busy bees remind me of happy cooks and homemakers. Let me say it this way…I try to use words to describe things when there are no photographs; for instance-if you couldn’t see these beautiful hydrangeas– how would I describe them to you?
- Blue Eyelet Bloomers?
- Blue Flowered Bubbles?
- Big Blue Pom Poms on a Green Chenille Bedspread?
- Blue Clouds over an Ocean of Green?
- Blue Lace Lollipops on Pale Green Sticks? or Pink Cotton Candy? or-
- Orbs overlaid with blue crochet?
Hydrangeas bring on summer with the pomp and circumstance of a parade- and stay around until autumn like pale parchments as if they hate to see the season go…
They are not fickle- though they do tend to surprise me…changing in spring from pale green to blue then brighter blue or decide that they might like to wear lilac instead…
Before new hybrids- old timers would say to ‘sweeten’ them up- with lime…to get pink blooms. Just look at this pink hybrid! Reliable bright cotton candy pink blooms shamelessly flamboyant in a friend’s garden!
And in the last few years, I’ve become enamored of these sweet lace cap hydrangeas!
A bevy of beauty whether in a bouquet or peeping through a fence- I have to admit I love hydrangeas!
I’m greedy, I always want more! So, as much as I enjoy describing hydrangeas with words-I have to share more- hoping you love them too!
Cultivating Hydrangeas is easy – great companion plants in a slightly damp, shady or dappled shade environments, under-planted with spring bulbs, hostas and Ferns…Try it!
Thanks for stopping by Camellia’s Cottage…remember if you sign up we will never ask-
- Your age or your shoe size, we will never ask where you were when you got those chigger bites-
- we will never share your whereabouts though you might need to let your momma know occasionally…
If you follow our blog…
- We won’t ask if your weight on your driver’s license is the same as on your home scale.
- We won’t ask what you were eating or how much when you got that grease stain – or
- Why you didn’t put down a quilt when you got that grass stain!
We will never ask when you started dyeing your hair, why you cut your own bangs –
- We will gently let you know that your dress is hiked up-
- We won’t mention that the buttons seem to be pulling since you gained so much weight…
We like you just the way you are! Stop by anytime day or night. We’ll leave the light on!
Love y’all, Camellia
Thank you to a fellow lover of hydrangeas and friend -Alyson, for the beautiful photos of your pink hydrangeas and the bouquet! Think you want to grow hydrangeas? Here are few resources from Amazon.com-