You should know the difference between looking Tacky or being Tastefully dressed almost from birth in the South. Southern Mothers take it as a personal insult if the children aren’t dressed right. You will hear things like:
- What was her Momma thinking lettin’ Savannah Jo leave the house like that?
- How could she put that baby in blue jeans- not even out of the bassinet!
- As pale as Mary Beth is- her momma should have known she couldn’t wear that yellow next to her face- it’s just plain tacky.
- Well, she obviously wasn’t raised right.
To help you avoid comments like this from getting back to you, I have declared it Fashion Week at Camellia’s Cottage. For the first installment- I have compiled a Basic List of what is considered appropriate and Tasteful so you can avoid being labelled Tacky– that is unless you are specifically invited to a Tacky Party.
- Pearls are a mainstay of a Tasteful wardrobe. These can be real or cultured– a southern lady must be both real and cultured.
- When a young lady is old enough to consume alcohol or becomes eligible to vote – Tasteful Ladies wear Black, White, Gray and Red– almost exclusively in fact.
- Natural Linen, Navy and Cream are also considered classic- especially if you mix them with the Tasteful colors, Black, White, Gray or Red.
- To veer away too sharply is to risk looking Tacky.
- Camellia Pink is a color some Strong Southern Women can pull off.
- Yellow and Green do funny things to the skin tone when worn close to the face. No one wants a green or yellow cast to the skin, it’s Tacky and makes you look sick.
- Brighter colors are considered Cruise Wear or when you want to have a little Fun in Spring or Summer.
- It is acceptable to wear your SEC Football Team Colors all year round regardless of the colors- this is considered Patriotic and your Duty as a True Fan.
- If you want to add a little Zip to your Wardrobe- wear a Scarf or carefully selected Accessories.
To avoid looking Tacky- Every Well Dressed Southern Lady must own–
- A Black Turtleneck
- Two well cut Blouses in Black and White
- A Traditional Pencil Skirt or Pleated Skirt if your figure will allow for it
- A well cut pair of Black Pants
- Sweater Set in the Tasteful colors
- A good pair of White Pants
- At least one Sheath Dress in the Tasteful colors
- A Decent Black Dress is acceptable for evening and for funerals and is a Fashion Must Have in the South.
- A Chanel Inspired Suit
- A Black Winter Coat and since you will wear this maybe once or twice per year in the South, make sure it is made of Cashmere or Wool, then stored in moth balls.
Finally, if you lacked training from a Southern Mother, look to the Fashion Icons– even if most of them are Yankees. You can’t go wrong with Jackie, Grace, Audrey and Coco-
Look for upcoming installments of Fashion Week at Camellia’s Cottage for Tasteful Advice on makeup, accessories, nautical wear and more…We can’t have you looking Tacky!
Love y’all, Camellia
Images are from AOL and may be copyrighted.